Monday, December 6, 2010

Why "tracks through time and place?"

The tracks are mine - the footprints I've left here and there as I explore the places most dear to me.  Some are awe-inspiring and internationally significant; others are simple markers of someone else's journey, personal and small scale.  Archaeology is all around us, and I have always loved to stop and listen to the stories the places tell.

I'm hoping that "Tracks through time and place" will be something more than a simple, archaeologically inspired travelogue.  For the student of archaeology, the journey never has to end: new findings from Easter Island offer a new understanding of my visit there; new data on the DNA of Brazil's"Lucia" is part of the ever-expanding story of complexity in the Amazon Basin.

I make no pretence to being an expert on archaeology or paleoanthropology.  It has been my passion for many years, but I am a writer and editor by profession, with a simple BA.  I make no offers of new archeological insights or original thinking; simply a little reflection and research to flesh out the bones of personal experience. And some pretty pictures.

Enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment